Friday, January 30, 2009

Contact Zone

When I first heard about the contact zone, I tried to think of something that I identified myself with. The first thing that popped into my head was my hometown. I consider it my contact zone because it is a place where I feel that I love to be and have people there that I confide in. I think a specific requirement for having a contact zone is comfortability. If you are not comfortable being yourself, it isn't much of a willing place I'm sure you'd like to be. How can you say that you confide in a place as your contact zone when you are unwilling to display your true self?

2 comments:

  1. Kaitlyn,
    I'm not sure comfort is a characteristic of the CZ.
    Where in your hometown, do cultures gather for a common purpose but they "knock against each other..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a hometown is a great contact zone, because within it there are smaller contact zones that could indeed "knock against each other." For example, a town maybe have a town meeting, where individuals go to express their opinions about the community in which they all live. People may have different opinions or feeling based on what they think is best for the town, and these are things that people might grapple about. In order for each of our home towns to work there has to be a different array of people to bring to bear different aspects of knowledge that one might not already know.
    I wouldnt necessarily say that comfort is a key factor in hometowns being contact zones, but i think it does play an important part in people in the community being happy and successful.

    ReplyDelete