Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Personal Contact Zone

I would have to say that a contact zone I visit frequently would be the cafeteria. In the cafeteria, I am almost always likely to find somebody I know, whether it is my friend from high school, some buddies from my dorm or class, or just some people I know from around school. When I enter the cafeteria, I will usually get food before awkwardly shuffling around the room looking for someone I know. Oftentimes when I do find a friend, he or she will be sitting with some friends that I might not know. This presents me with a great oppurtunity to meet new people as well as catch up with established friends.

The cafeteria is a good contact zone because everyone goes there at some point in the day. This makes it a great place to meet up with people and catch up on classes or other activities. Everyone in the cafeteria has their own stories to share with other people about anything that has happened during the day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, Will, almost idyllic. Certainly the cafe is a space for interaction etc. but what about clashing and grappling? How can the cafe be a space where cultures meet in a context of "asymmetrical relations of power?"
    Can a contact zone be an ideal zone?

    ReplyDelete